- With Big data advances and the availability of necessary compute, and storage power needed to store and process data has become easier
- Machine learning, deep learning, and other AI models are democratized, increasing the reach
- Infrastructure as code and declarative operations have become the norm, making AIOps more useful in IT operations
When you think of AIOps, don’t imagine a scenario where autonomic computing takes over where machine intelligence handles all the IT operations. AIOps is about augmenting existing IT teams to be more efficient and proactive in their tasks.
IT is challenged by the large volumes of monitoring data and logs. Analysing such data with the traditional rules based approach is time-consuming. It doesn’t help IT to quickly stop outages from happening. Also, with multi-cloud and use of more distributed computing like containers, the amount of data IT has to handle has increased multifold. AIOps is about using compute power to help IT make sense of all the data and take proactive actions to stop any problems before they occur. AIOps platforms consume all the monitoring and performance data along with logging to detect events and apply machine learning (and deep learning in some cases) to inform IT operations about any issue or outages. AIOps goes beyond preventing outages to stopping runaway costs, security, and policy violations.
Some of the advantages of AIOps are:
- Proactive IT operations stopping outages before it happens
- Identification and prevention of grey failures which is not possible with traditional IT operations
- Better efficiencies in how resources are used
- Cost management by proactively shutting down unused resources
- Better productivity for IT teams, and it helps smaller teams operate at scale
- Proactive security updates and automated security monitoring and prevention
- Proactive governance compliance monitoring
- Removal of bottlenecks leading to faster time to market
AIOps makes IT operations more efficient by helping them take actions to prevent outages, security, and policy violations. By proactively managing resources and costs, organizations can even realize dramatic cost savings. In short, AIOps helps the IT Operations team to be part of the innovation center rather than a cost center.